Base on the different material combinations and different types of spiral wound gasket, it is important to know how to choose the right spiral wound gasket for your flanges.
Different types of Spiral Wound gasket:
The sealing part of a spiral wound gasket is the winding which is stainless steel and the filler which is non-metallic tape in graphite, PTFE, asbestos-free or ceramic. According to different flange faces, we clarify the spiral wound gaskets in four types: Basic type SWG (only with winding and filler), SWG with inner ring (called RIR type), SWG with outer ring (called CG type), SWG with inner and outer ring (called CGI type), and we also have spiral wound gasket for heat exchanger and special shape SWGs.
|Basic type SWG||JSG-SW10||Tongue/Groove||304/F.G|
|SWG with inner ring||JSG-SW40||Male and Female||304 304/F.G|
|SWG with outer ring||JSG-SW30||Raised face Flat face||304/ABS CS|
|SWG with inner &outer rings||JSG-SW20||Flat face and groove face and raised face||304 304/F.G CS|
|SWG for heat exchanger||JSG-SWH||Heat exchanger||304/F.G with 1 bar of DJ 304/F.G|
|Special shape SWG||JSG-SWC||Special||Track, Oval, Diamond, Square|
|Layer Material||Identification||Temperature （℃)||Maximum||Color Code|
The Choice of Spiral wound gasket:
When choosing the right spiral wound gasket, we should check the flange’s standard and the sealing environment. We get to know the gaskets’ standard and the type and the pressure rating based on the flange’s standard and faces and we will also know how to choose the right material based on the knowledge of the sealing environment (temperature and the medium).
The installation of Spiral wound gasket:
We should pay attention to below to make sure our SWGs give a perfect sealing function:
- Make sure the sealing face of gaskets and flanges clean, no scratches or spots on the sealing faces.
- The outer diameter of the gasket should be smaller than that of the flange’s sealing face while the inner diameter of gaskets should be larger than that of the pipe.
- The gasket should be installed in the center of the flange’s sealing face, especially for raised face flanges.
- Make sure of an even and symmetric force when installing the gasket to the flange. The designed force should not be achieved once, always we should screw up at least 2-3 times. In this way, the spiral wounds can provide a better sealing function.
- Check and recalibrate the torque of the connection bolts after one cycle of operation of the valves and pipes.
- Don’t use liquid-base or metal-base anti-sticking agents or lubricating agents.
- It’s a must to lower the pressure firstly and then adjust the gasket or remove it when there’s a leakage of the pipes.